Technical HelpNeed more answers?
Flexible Cords, Non Armoured (COPPER CONDUCTORS)
Tables Apply to: Flexible Cables (also see tables - (90°C and 180°C Thermosetting Insulated Flexible Cables With Sheath, Non Armoured ) and (60°C Thermosetting Insulated Flexible Cables With Sheath, Non Armoured)
CURRENT-CARRYING CAPACITY (amperes) and MASS SUPPORTABLE (kg)
|Conductor Cross Sectional Area||Current-carrying capacity||Maximum mass supportable by twin flexible cord (see Regulations 522.7.2 and 5126.96.36.199)|
|Single-phase a.c.||Three-phase a.c.|
60°C Thermoplastic or Thermosetting Insulated Cords:
|Ambient Temperature: ||35°C||40°C||45°C||50°C||55°C|
90°C Thermoplastic or Thermosetting Insulated Cords:
|Ambient Temperature:||35°C to 50°C||55°C||60°C||65°C||70°C|
|Correction Factor: ||1||0.96||0.83||0.67||0.47|
180°C Thermosetting Insulated Cords:
|Ambient Temperature:||35°C to 120°C||125°C||130°C||135°C||140°C||145°C|
Glass Fibre Cords:
|Ambient Temperature:||35°C to 150°C||155°C||160°C||165°C||170°C||175°C|
|Correction Factor: ||1||0.92||0.82||0.71||0.51||0.4|
- The current ratings tabulated are for cables in free air but may also be used for cables resting on a surface. If the cable is to be wound on a drum on load the ratings should be reduced in accordance with Note 2 below and for cables which may be covered, Note 3 below.
- Flexible cables wound on reeling drums
- The current ratings of cables used on reeling drums are to be reduced by the following factors:
a) Radial type drum | ventilated: 85% | unventilated: 75%
b) Ventilated cylindrical type drum, 1 layer of cable: 85%, 2 layers of cable: 65%, 3 layers of cable: 45%, 4 layers of cable: 35%
- A radial type drum is one where spiral layers of cable are accommodated between closely spaced flanges; if fitted with solid flanges the ratings given above should be reduced and the drum is described as non-ventilated. If the flanges have suitable apertures the drum is described as ventilated.
- A ventilated cylindrical cable drum is one where layers of cable are accommodated between widely spaced flanges and the drum and end flanges have suitable ventilating apertures.
- Where cable may be covered over or coiled up whilst on load, or the air movement over the cable restricted, the current rating should be reduced. It is not possible to specify the amount of reduction but the table of rating factors for reeling drums can be used as a guide.
VOLTAGE DROP (per ampere per metre)
|Conductor Cross Sectional Area||d.c. or single-phase a.c.||Three-phase a.c.|
* The tabulated values above are for 60°C thermoplastic or thermosetting insulated flexible cables and for other types of flexible cable they are to be multiplied by the following factors:
<< Go Back
- 90°C thermoplastic or thermosetting insulated 1.09
- 150°C 1.31
- 185°C glass fibre 1.43